Current:Home > MarketsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:46:36
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (6665)
Related
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- Phoenix man gets 22 years in prison for nearly a dozen drive-by shootings
- From 'Blue Beetle' to 'Good Burger 2,' here are 15 movies you need to stream right now
- Britain’s Conservative government set to start cutting taxes ahead of likely election next year
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Police: Kentucky bank shooter wrote in journal about ease of buying assault weapon before killings
- Swift, Super Bowl, sports betting: Commissioner Roger Goodell discusses state of NFL
- Twilight Director Reveals Kristen Stewart Crashed Robert Pattinson’s 37th Birthday Party
- Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
- Nearly half of Americans think the US is spending too much on Ukraine aid, an AP-NORC poll says
Ranking
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- Messi’s Argentina beats Brazil in a World Cup qualifying game delayed by crowd violence
- Melissa Barrera dropped from 'Scream 7' over social media posts about Israel-Hamas war
- Timekeepers no more, rank-and-file Jehovah’s Witnesses say goodbye to tracking proselytizing hours
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- The average long-term US mortgage rate falls to 7.29% in fourth-straight weekly drop
- The top contenders to lead the Netherlands, from a former refugee to an anti-Islam populist
- More Americans are expected to ‘buy now, pay later’ for the holidays. Analysts see a growing risk
Recommendation
Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
A Las Vegas high school grapples with how a feud over stolen items escalated into a fatal beating
Travis Kelce Thanks Taylor Swift and Her Fans for Helping His and Jason Kelce's Song Reach No. 1
See the first photo of Eddie Murphy as Axel Foley in 'Beverly Hills Cop 4' film on Netflix
Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
'Really good chance' Andrei Vasilevskiy could return on Lightning's road trip
Fantasy football rankings for Week 12: Be thankful for Chargers stars
Hailey Bieber Drops a Shimmering Version of the Viral Rhode Lip Tint Just in Time for the Holidays